Hospital error cases, including those involving errors by doctors, nurses, midwives, and any other health care providers, fall within the broader category of medical malpractice. These complex cases require representation and guidance from lawyers with many years of focused experienced handling such matters. We have that experience. Call us.
Lawyers for Hospital Errors in Canada
Hospitals are intended to be safe places where doctors and other medical and healthcare professionals are obligated to act in the best interests of their patients. Unfortunately, mistakes do happen, and every year thousands of patients are injured or seriously affected by medical error or negligence.
Hospital error, including errors by doctors, nurses, midwives, laboratory and other technicians, as well as any other hospital workers who provided medical care, fall within the broader category of medical malpractice.
Patients, or family members of patients affected by hospital error or negligence require legal advice and guidance from personal injury lawyers who focus specifically on medical malpractice. At Sommers Roth & Elmaleh we have more than 40 years of experience representing clients affected by medical error or negligence. Our firm has set a number of pioneering legal precedents and has been at the forefront of significant advancements in medical malpractice litigation. We are regularly recognized by both the legal and medical community as being among the top medical malpractice firms in the country.
Common Hospital Errors
The most commonly occurring hospital errors include:
- Misdiagnosis and/or the failure to diagnose a condition;
- Obstetric malpractice including spina bifida, shoulder dystocia, and cerebral palsy.
- Pediatric malpractice
- Failure to properly and timely treat a condition;
- Prescription errors, including administration of the wrong medication or administration of the incorrect dosage;
- Laboratory and testing errors;
- Failure to detect cancer and especially breast cancer;
- Surgical errors, including anesthesia errors, neurosurgical errors and tonsillectomy errors.
Compensation and Claim for Medical Negligence
If you believe that you have been affected by hospital error, you may be eligible to receive compensation to provide financial security for yourself and your family going forward.
In addition to damages that may be awarded to victims and families in recognition of the injuries suffered, families may also be eligible to receive other compensation. This includes funds for:
- Past and Future Income Loss due to caring for an injured or disabled person;
- Home Accessibility Modifications including things such as residential elevators, widened doorways, customized bathrooms and kitchen, and any other modifications needed to make a home more accessible;
- Attendant Care Services including private nurses (RN/RPN), Rehabilitation Support Workers (RSW), Personal Support Workers (PSW), Disability Support Workers (DSW);
- Medical and Rehabilitation Services including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy and others.
Respected Leaders in Medical Malpractice, Representing Clients Affected by Hospital Error
If you or your child have been seriously injured as a result of medical error, contact Sommers Roth & Elmaleh at 1-844-777-7372 or online. As one of the oldest medical malpractice firms in Toronto, we are well-established and highly respected in the medical malpractice field and have helped clients from all across Ontario and Canada including British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec and Newfoundland with a wide variety of medical error or negligence claims.
Our Notable Hospital Error Cases
- $23 Million for an Inaccurate Hospital Laboratory Report Causing a Missed Diagnosis of Bacterial Meningitis in Baby. Girl, Almost a Teenager, Suffers From Severe Disabilities.
- Mom and Disabled Son Recover Over $7 Million Dollars due to Hospital’s Failure to Monitor Fetal Heart Rate.
- Hospital Room Not Prepared for Delivery of Twins, Results in Severe Brain Damage — Family Settles for $5.2 Million.
- Nurse’s Medication Error Renders Woman Quadriplegic — Hospital Settles for over $4.6 Million.