Guardian of Property

What is a Guardian of Property?

We have previously written about Litigation Guardians. This week, we explore the related but distinct issue of Guardian(s) of Property following successful litigation in Ontario.

A Guardian of Property is a court-appointed person who essentially steps into the shoes of a person that is considered legally incapable (such as a minor or incapable person) to make financial decisions and carry out financial transactions on that person’s behalf. The Guardian, or Guardians, may pay bills, invest money and make purchases, among other things.

In the context of medical malpractice litigation, a Guardian of Property may be necessary to manage or use a large award or settlement on behalf of a minor or incapable person. Otherwise, the person’s funds would be paid into Court to be managed by the Accountant of the Superior Court of Justice.

Who Can be a Guardian of Property?

An adult is considered “incapable” if they cannot understand information relevant to make financial decisions or cannot appreciate what may happen as a result of their decisions. This can include, for instance, individuals who have suffered a brain injury. On the other hand, by law, anyone under the age of 18 is considered to be incapable of managing large awards or settlements.

A Guardian of Property does not have to be a specific individual, but is usually the parent or other close family member of the incapable individual. More than one individual can be a Guardian for Property, in which case they will function as joint Guardians.

The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee or Office of the Children’s Lawyer can also serve as a Guardian of Property, often in cases where no appropriate family member or close friend is available. In some circumstances, the court may require a trust company or other independent professional to act as a Guardian (a “Corporate Guardian”). If no Guardian is appointed, the funds may be paid into Court to be managed by the Accountant of the Superior Court of Justice.

Applying to be a Guardian of Property

A person can become a Guardian of Property by applying to court. The Application should include a sworn affidavit that outlines the evidence of the incapable individual’s incapacity, the need for a Guardian, who the Guardian or Guardians should be, and a Management Plan with the proposed plans of how the Guardian or Guardians intend to manage and use the funds. The Application should also include a formal draft Order setting out the terms of the guardianship being sought. In the case of a disabled adult, a Capacity Assessment will likely be required.

The guardianship application must be served on the incapable person, all of their immediate family members, the Public Guardian and Trustee (if the incapable person is an adult), or the Office of the Children’s Lawyer (if the incapable person is a minor). The Public Guardian and Trustee or the Office of the Children’s Lawyer represents the incapable person– and not the prospective guardian- during the Application process. The Public Guardian and Trustee or the Office of the Children’s Lawyer might oppose the application and may argue against it in Court before a Judge.

If the Judge agrees that the Guardianship is in the best interests of the minor or incapable person, the Judge will grant a Guardianship Order (in accordance with a Management Plan).

What Does This Mean in Medical Malpractice?

In a medical malpractice case, the parents or guardians of an injured child generally apply to become that child’s Guardian of Property. This is usually done after a settlement or trial award is received in order to begin using the settlement funds or trial award on behalf of the child.

Obligations of a Guardian of Property

First and foremost, a Guardian of Property must follow the Guardianship Order and Management Plan. More generally, the powers and obligations of a Guardian of Property for a minor are outlined in the Ontario Children’s Law Reform Act, 1990 and the Substitute Decisions Act, 1992 and its related regulations for an adult.

The responsibilities of a Guardian of Property are significant. Guardians of Property are responsible for the financial welfare of the incapable person, and are permitted to do anything in relation to an incapable person’s property and assets that the person could do if they were capable, subject to certain restrictions and in accordance with the terms of the Guardianship Order.

With respect to monies obtained in a settlement in a medical malpractice case, this could include:

  • Purchasing therapies, services, and equipment;
  • Opening a bank account on behalf of the incapable person;
  • Choosing investment options;
  • Managing investments;
  • Buying property or other real estate (with certain restrictions).

In addition, other responsibilities may include applying for benefits or any other supplementary income to which the incapable person may be entitled.

Among other things, Guardians of Property should, or must:

  • Keep the incapable person’s bank and other accounts, as well as transactions completely separate from their own;
  • Always consider the best interests of the incapable person before determining whether any financial decision or transaction is in their benefit;
  • Always manage property, finances, and investments in a financially prudent manner that maximizes the quality of life of the incapable person (in accordance with the Management Plan);
  • Keep accurate records of all transactions made on behalf of the incapable person;
  • Pass Accounts as required; and
  • Never borrow or use the incapable person’s money for themselves, unless expressly approved by the Court.

Importantly, a Guardian of Property has no authority to make decisions of a personal nature for the person whose finances they are managing, unless they have also been made that person’s Guardian for Personal Care. Guardians for Personal Care can make decisions about health care and other personal care.

It is critical to keep accurate and thorough records of all transactions. The court will likely review the management of the funds (property) and accounts managed by the Guardian, a process referred to as ‘Passing of Accounts’. This can be a formal or informal process.

Where the court disagrees with the Guardian’s management, the Guardian may be required to return some or all of the money to the incapable person’s estate or the Court may remove the Guardian of Property.


Guardians for Property must keep a copy of the court order that appointed them as Guardian, a copy of the Management Plan, and a copy of any court orders that pertain to the management of the incapable person’s property. These will likely be reviewed during the Passing of Accounts process.

Records that must be kept by the Guardian include:

  • A list of the incapable person’s assets and/or debts, if any, as of the date of the first time any transactions are made on their behalf;
  • An up-to-date list of all assets acquired or disposed of on behalf of the incapable person, including the dates and reasons for acquisition or disposal, and details of the transactions;
  • An up-to-date list of all money paid out or received on behalf of the incapable person, including all details associated with the transactions;
  • An up-to-date list of all investments made on behalf of the incapable person, including amounts, dates, interest rates, and types of investment;
  • An up-to-date list of all compensation taken by the Guardian.

It is also advisable to keep copies of all invoices or bills paid on the incapable person’s behalf.

Directions from the Court

If any difficult questions arise about the management of an incapable person’s income or property arise, the Guardian of Property can apply to the court for directions. In such instances, the Court will provide guidance on what it considers to be beneficial for the incapable individual.

If necessary, the Management Plan can be amended to account for changes in circumstances. It is important to recall that the Public Guardian and Trustee or the Office of the Children’s Lawyer represents the incapable person– and not the prospective Guardian.

Following our successful completion of our clients’ medical malpractice lawsuit, the medical malpractice lawyers at Sommers Roth & Elmaleh advise parents and loved ones of injured children on applications for Guardianship of Property, the responsibilities and obligations of being a Guardian for Property, and any related questions. We have significant experience in representing clients in medical malpractice lawsuits and in providing trusted guidance at every step of the process, including after a settlement is obtained. With offices in downtown Toronto, we represent clients in all parts of Ontario and across Canada. Call us at 1-844-777-7372 or contact us online for a free consultation.

For additional information and resources:

Office of the Children’s Lawyer- “Guardianship of Property of Minor Children” (Child)

Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee- “Duties and Powers of a Guardian of Property” (Adult)

Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee- “Becoming a Guardian of Property FAQs” (Adult)

Disclaimer and Liability Exclusion

The information on this page is provided for general information purposes only. It should not be construed as legal advice. It does not constitute legal or other professional advice or an opinion of any kind. Readers should seek specific legal advice regarding any specific legal issues. We do not in any way guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness or quality of the information on this page. The posts on this page are current as of their original date of publication, but they should not be relied upon as timely, accurate or fit for any particular purpose.

Accessing or using this web site or the content herein does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

This page may contain links to third party web sites. We are unable to, and do not, monitor and guarantee the quality of the information disseminated and accessible through those links, which are provided for convenience only. We do not endorse the information contained in linked web sites nor guarantee its accuracy, timeliness or fitness for a particular purpose.

    If you have been affected by medical malpractice anywhere in Canada contact us for a free consultation.
    You pay us nothing unless we win.

    A lawyer from Sommers Roth & Elmaleh will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please note that no lawyer-client, advisory, or fiduciary relationship is created by your inquiry. All information provided is confidential.

    The above information is not legal advice. Past results of cases and recoveries by our medical malpractice lawyers against hospitals, doctors, midwives, nurses and other healthcare professionals are not necessarily indicative of future results. The amounts recovered and other litigation outcomes will vary according to the facts in individual cases.

    See Our Lawyer's Reviews

    Hilt this Tamrate
    Hilt this Tamrate
    23 May 2023
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    Dear Mr Hilik Y. And Jeremy Syrtash. I would like to express my deepest gratitude to you and Sommers Roth and Elmaleh Professional Corporation staff for all you have done with respect to my wife case. My wife was a victim of Medical Malpractice after giving birth to our daughter. She become legally disabled both physically and mentally. The entire family devastated emotionally as my wife struggle to cope with the new reality. The case of Medical Malpractice is quite often a complex case to prove. However, due to your strong commitment, knowledge and dedication combined with strong professionalism the case was successfully won after a long arduous fight. The victory would not have been possible without your dedication and thorough research in the implementation of the standards of the Sommers Roth and Elmaleh Professional Corporation. Justice prevailed at last which in turn allowed my vulnerable wife to feel more optimistic about her future and that of our family. The positive outcome of this case has changed our lives forever. It would not have been possible without the excellent representation of Sommers Roth and Elmaleh Professional Corporation and its legal counsel. My wife and I will be deeply grateful for the successful outcome of this case for many years to come. Solomon Regassa
    Hector Cardenas
    Hector Cardenas
    4 January 2023
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    I would like to take this opportunity to express my most sincere gratitude towards Sommers Roth & Elmaleh, from the day I met with Hilik and his team, they been not only highly knowledgeable but also extremely sensitive towards me and my family, providing us with the best legal service possible. It goes without saying, that I strongly recommend them to anyone looking for a charismatic, quality and result oriented legal team.
    10 October 2022
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    We deeply appreciate Sommers Roth & Elmaleh for their professional skills and hard-working through the whole process of my son’s case. I still remember the first conversation we took with Mr. Hilik Y Elmaleh in his lawyer office sixteen years ago. From then on, your dedication, patience, understanding and continuous communications kept our encouragements and expectations for my son and our family. With the case settled down, my son can receive the full financial support, continuous therapies and finishing his university course. It is no doubt to say that Sommers Roth & Elmaleh not only changed our family’s life but also did contributions to the society, because my son can grow in a happy and health way in his teenage and receive university education from this autumn. Again we hereby strongly recommend the services provided by the lawyer office Sommers Roth & Elmaleh to those who needs the similar legal consultation and support. Even the door of your family was closed by some unfortunate events, there are more windows can be opened. The lawyers in Sommers Roth & Elmaleh are exactly the people who can open the windows and convert the sun-shine again to your family: Mr. Hilik Y Elmaleh,Mr.Jeremy Syrtash, Miss Fanny Peter ...etc. Finally, we express the deepest gratitude and appreciation again to Mr. Hilik Y Elmaleh and lawyer office Sommers Roth & Elmaleh. Wish a brighter future of Sommers Roth & Elmaleh !
    Meggie Zhangkrk6hdjybfjt
    Meggie Zhangkrk6hdjybfjt
    6 October 2022
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    I am so glad that my son's CP medical case was completely successful. I appreciate lawyer Hilik Elmaleh, Jeremy Syrtash, Fanny Peter and their team's hard work. They are so knowledgeable, responsible and reliable. Thanks is not enough to express my gratitude. Mr. Hilik Elmaleh deserves "The Best Lawyer in Canada" award.
    Tony Zhou
    Tony Zhou
    29 September 2022
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    I would like to extend my gratitude towards Mr. Hilik Elmaleh, Jermey Syntash, and Fanny Peter for their dedication, time, effort, and knowledge invested into my case. This is honestly the best team of lawyers in Canada. I would highly recommend them for any of your cases.
    Dianne Keckes
    Dianne Keckes
    18 July 2022
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank our daughter's "Dream Team", Hilik Elmaleh, Jeremy Syrtash and Fanny Peter. The compassion, dedication, knowledge, experience and their recognition in the legal community have ensured us that we were on the right track working with the firm Sommers, Roth and Elmaleh. Words cannot express enough my gratitude! I will be forever grateful!
    Ivica J Sokic
    Ivica J Sokic
    6 June 2022
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    Thank you does not begin to express the depth of gratitude I have for Sommers Roth & Elmaleh Professional Corporation. From the first day I sat in Hilik's office, not once did I feel apprehensive. My concerns and worries were put at ease due to the kindness and compassion of Hilik, Jeremy and Fanny and their relentless persistence to secure my daughter's future. This has been a long but successful endeavor during some difficult times and through it all, the Team has been resilient, informative and were always available. I highly recommend this dedicated and professional law firm and I will be forever in their debt.
    Arden Melnechuk
    Arden Melnechuk
    1 December 2021
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    I was in a serious horse accident where the horse was injured and should never have been ridden. The owner of the horse was aware that the horse had chronic arthritis issues and the veterinarians at Guelph had told him the horse could decompensate at any time and could cause serious injury whether being led or ridden and could never be jumped again. The horse had been shown at the grand prix level and the owner had payed quite a bit of money for him. After consulting with several lawyers and having one that did represent me at the discoveries who later quit, Jeremy Syrtash took on the case and followed through with guelph university. That is how we found out that the vets had recommended the above. Without Jeremy's efforts and follow through the case would never have continued on. Because of these efforts the case was successful. Thank you so much Jeremy. You are a dedicated, thorough, excellent lawyer and it's been a pleasure to have you as my lawyer!!
    Megha Sharma
    Megha Sharma
    16 April 2021
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    Mr. Elmaleh and his team are very professional and experts in their field. Recommend to everyone who has suffered medical negligence.
    Nick & Whitney Maraschiello-Basnett
    Nick & Whitney Maraschiello-Basnett
    18 July 2020
    Trustindex verifies that the original source of the review is Google.
    We want to start by saying how much we highly recommend Sommers, Roth and Elmaleh for anyone who is dealing with a situation involving medical malpractice. Hilik and the entire firm have allowed us the opportunity to give our little girl the life she deserves. There is no taking back what happened, but they truly turned such a tragedy into a victory. They fought long and hard, and put forth so much time and effort into making the individuals accountable and responsible for the mistakes that were made. They always showed true compassion for our family, guided us with ease, and supported us through every step. This was such a life changing experience with the firm, and honestly we will always be forever grateful and thankful.